The DBCI had a great success in 2014. To the core market of Germany, Austria and Switzerland and the Polish and Italian markets seven more countries were added in 2015.
Over the year the markets of Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg (Benelux), Russia, Spain & Portugal and France all saw their first DBCI surveys. Together with OVAB cooperation partners and research ambassadors like the Club du Digital Media and OoH-TV in France or Roi Iglesias from Spain (CEO Neo Advertising) it was possible to introduce the DBCI in various markets with great success.
The DBCI or OVAB Europe Digital Signage & DooH Business Climate Index is a widely observed early indicator for economic development in the digital signage and digital out of home industry of the EMEA market region. The DBCI is published bi-monthly. It is based on the responses of the high level management from all relevant companies in the digital signage value chain.
- The business sentiment in Italy has been volatile in 2014
- The recessive general economy and the comparably slow political reform process have led to irritation in the industry
- After a healthy market shakeout the remaining companies were able to stabilize their revenues and profits and only one third of the market have registered decreasing in revenues in 2014
- Most business is currently made with small installations in the SMB sector
- The market participants expect an increasing demand for digital signage solutions for small signage (displays smaller than 32”) / The primary scenarios are in the retail sector like shelf displays and digital posters at the PoS
Spain & Portugal
- The Iberian peninsula is one of the Top 10 markets for digital signage in EMEA
- In Spain/Portugal the digital signage market profited highly from the beginning upturn and from strong business relations to the booming Middle- and South-American markets
- With the general economic upturn consumer spendings increased, hence retail and shopping malls are the two most important vertical markets for digital signage
- Several big projects have surpassed the pilot phase and will start the main roll out with up to 500 displays in the near future
- In the digital out of home sector the big advertising companies like Clear Channel and JCDecaux have been constantly investing in their digital portfolio, as revenues have grown by approximately 10% in 2014