GfK study confirms: Digital signage reaches 98 percent of consumers at POS!
High awareness and good recall for digital out-of-home media / range of digital signage finally measurable.
Munich, 7th September 2010 – digital signage works: 98 percent of German shopping mall visitors are actively aware of the POS installed screens. The advertisements displayed reach practically all consumers via digital out-of-home media, according to results from a current GfK range study commissioned by ECE flatmedia. A two-part visitor study was conducted across Germany’s shopping malls in April of this year. In some instances, an impressive reach of 33.6 million advertising contacts per week by national placement was attained and, in addition, digital advertising also achieved a high awareness and good recall in the shopping environment.
Seventeen percent of the people interviewed were able to recall the advertised product after a 10-second test spot (unaided motive recall). After verbal aid, 28 percent eventually recalled the product (verbally-aided motive recall). Thirty-three percent of the participants recognised the motive following presentation. These results from the face-to-face survey clearly indicate the high awareness level of advertising on the installed screens.
“The GfK study confirmed our expectations that advertising in the shopping environment is effective. At the same time, we are now able to identify gross and net range, CPMs, target group potentials and recall value at the touch of a button and are comparable with conventional media through these performance levels” says Oliver Poppelbaum, Managing Director ECE flatmedia.
ECE flatmedia is a member of OVAB Europe, the European Association for the DooH industry, who lent the study and activities for an increased transparency in recording the advertising impact of out-of-home media its strong support: “OVAB Europe was first and foremost established in order to take up the cause of standardisation and transparent coverage measurement in the industry”, says Dirk Hülsermann, President of OVAB Europe. “This present study now clearly indicates that coverage in the DooH industry is also measurable. As an association, we support this development and will do our utmost for a further standardisation of measuring methods in the future.”
The results of the ECE flatmedia study will also be a subject at the 4th Digital Signage Conference under the heading of “Simplifying the Digital Signage Business” which takes place in Munich from 19th to 20th October. A summary of the study is available for download at www.ece-flatmedia.com.
About ECE flatmedia GmbH
• Germany’s largest flatscreen network in premium shopping centres.
• A subsidiary of ECE Projektmanagement G.m.b.H. und Co. KG (Otto Group). Founded in April 2008.
• Moving, digital advertising in over 40 malls and 20 major cities on almost 1,000 flatscreens.
• Net reach: more than 8.1 million contacts per week in the total network
- Gross reach: more than 33.6 million contacts per week
• Full service provider with the highest standard of quality and own marketing, production, technical support and implementation of best-in-class screens.
• Premium target groups with purchasing power in top-quality shopping centres who are open and receptive to advertising and are immediately able to complete impulse buying in the centre.
• Available on national, regional and local levels. Smallest available unit is one centre, one week, five second duration.
• Innovative medium with customised solutions for every customer’s brand presence, including combination options of permanent and campaign spots with two screens placed side-by-side.
About OVAB Europe:
OVAB Europe is the first independent, pan-European representative of interests for providers and service providers of audiovisual media at POS and POI. The association is an addition to the organisations from the digital out-of-home industry already in existence and solely focuses in this role on the field of digital out-of-home media. The association is, therefore, a central contact point and source of information for all matters concerning the industry partners and system providers in this sector.